Welcome to the Catholic Badass Blog, where we strive to be more than good Catholics, we strive to be Catholic Badasses and you should too!

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sailor Moon Update



Hi!  So remember a couple weeks ago I did a rant on Sailor Moon?  Well if you didn't see it, you can go check it out and read how I summarized the entire show into one word: Dumb.  Fun, but dumb.  I haven't gotten much farther in the original series, BUT for those of you who keep up on anime news, you know that Sailor Moon Crystal made its debut yesterday.

Sailor Moon Crystal is not a remake of the original series, but a re-imagining.  It follows the originally manga more closely then the previous series, so some plot points are going to be different. Overall though, its still the same series and the creators didn't change too much of the original content.

However, they did change some elements of the show that I wish they had done for the original series:

First, the art in SMC looks much better, and though it doesn't really compare to the animes created today, its obvious that the style is a throwback to the original series, which is ok in my book.  The improvement in animation definitely helped my opinion of the show and helped me get through the first few minutes of the first episode.

Second, Usagi is still a crybaby, but the creators make good use of that.  There's a bit more humor in this series, and I feel like it takes itself less seriously than the original Sailor Moon.  Again, I'm enjoying the humor of this show a bit more and am beginning to find the charm in this franchise.

Those were the two main complaints I had with the show, which, surprisingly, was pretty much everything that was changed from the original series.  Besides a small tweak in the plot, everything that made the old series bearable remains.  The great Japanese voice acting is back, the transformation sequence looks cool, and Tuxedo Mask is still mysterious.  Nice job people.

Best of all, I no longer feel like I have to trudge my way through five seasons worth of anime.  I might continue with the original, but for now, I'm going to see where Crystal takes me.

From what I've read on the Internet, Sailor Moon fans are also enjoying the series so far, and I'll admit, I am a little excited as well.  I hope that this new series lasts for a while, and I can learn more about the history of this show and why it remains popular to this day.  I guess all I can do is wait for next Saturday......

  *Sigh* It's going to be a long Summer.....

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment