Welcome to the Catholic Badass Blog, where we strive to be more than good Catholics, we strive to be Catholic Badasses and you should too!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

CB Top 5: TV Detectives

If there is one genre of TV that usually guaranteed to do well, it s crime/detective shows.  There are so ways that a detective show can be presented, and during my time, I've seen a wide range of wonderful and not so wonderful television detectives.  Plus, detectives are pretty BA, or at least they are presented that way on the small screen.  So, if you are looking for a series to binge watch this summer, get a clue and check out these super sleuths.







5. Horatio Caine, CSI: Miami

Probably best known for these.....


Horatio is a no nonsense detective who makes sure that murderers are brought to justice.  Honestly, I don't think I ever saw him crack a smile.  Ever.  I wonder if he even can at this point.  Who cares though, because really makes a scowl look menacing.  On top of that he's cool, he's got great glasses and he's a redhead, so what's not to enjoy about watching this guy.







4. Mac Taylor: CSI: New York.
You're probably wondering why I put Mac ahead of Horatio, since Miami seems to have a bigger following than NY.  Though I enjoy both series, I prefer CSI: New York.  Similar to Horatio, Mac will do what is necessary to catch criminals, but he also has a softer side, and I enjoyed him catching criminals just as much as I enjoyed watching his non-CSI life.  I also enjoy his report with the rest of the CSI team, and the great chemistry he brings to the show.  Though he doesn't have a signature move like his Miami counterpart, Mac's follow-up is probably one of my favorite Who songs, Baba O'Riley.







3. Kate Beckett, Castle
Whoa, Kate Beckett?  Um why not Richard Castle, you know who the show is named after?  Well, it may be his show, but Kate is the actual detective.  Though Richard is great at solving crime, he is a writer.  This however does not take away from the sheer awesomeness that is Kate Beckett.  She is not only the leader for her all male team, but is capable on standing on her own two feet.  Beckett is also a BA detective and fighter, and she can stand toe-to-toe with the sass-mountain that is Richard Castle.  I never get tired of watching these two work together, and though I am a bit behind on the series, I plan to catch up and watch her do her Kate Beckett/Nikki Heat thing.








2. Shawn Spencer, Psych
While I'll give an honorable mention to Adrian Monk from Monk, Psych is one of my favorite detective shows, mostly because of it's main character, Shawn Spencer.  Shawn's detective style is on the complete opposite side of the previously mentioned detectives, as he only uses his keen observation senses to solve crime.  Not wacky enough for you?  Well, he's convinced everyone else that he is actually psychic.  Honestly, after seeing one episode of Psych, I was hooked.  Shawn does not only make me laugh, but is also a master at his craft.  I doubt that I would be able to convince people that I was a psychic detective, but he does so brilliantly and looking so cool doing it.  What makes Psych so much fun is that Shawn embraces his weird situation, by purposely getting involved with wacky antics, instead of being awkward and creating cringeworthy moments for the audience to endure for 42 minutes.  He's fun,silly and a brilliant detective, but just missed out on the top spot.

And, you probably guessed who number one is, but for the slower crowd......








1. Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock
When hearing about this show, I wasn't originally interested in seeing it, but after the 2nd season finale and all the "I Believe in Sherlock Holmes" tagging went around, I decided to give it a try.  Considering that it was made by the current Doctor Who showrunner, I had high expectations and was not disappointed.  Instead of a pretty average, but a little bit wacky Sherlock Holmes that we got from by Robert Downey Jr, we got a "high functioning sociopath" with a wicked sense of humor and mind-blowing detective skills.  Benedict Cumberbatch does an amazing job playing the smug but loveable Sherlock, walking a fine line between humor and seriousness in every episode.  Sherlock has also redefined the detective genre, embracing life in the 21st century and using a 90 format rather than a 42 minute one, which allows for the plot to be fully laid out and solved.  Though there have been many great portrays of Sherlock Holmes in the past, this Sherlock will the one remembered for year to come.....which will probably be how it will take them to release new episodes......*sad face*

Just kidding!  It sounds like there will be a 2015 Christmas special!

As I previously mentioned, I'd like to give an honorable mention to Adrian Monk (Monk) as well as the cast of Criminal Minds (I couldn't pick just one character).  These are both terrific shows with terrific detectives, but sadly they didn't make the cut.

I hope I gave you some ideas for you next lazy day (or lazy week in my case).  There are also some great classic detective shows like Murder, She Wrote and Columbo which I am told are fun series to binge on.  Pick you favorite and let the case begin!

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment